Saturday 21 November 2015

Amarjit Bassan: My own own personal Dramaturg

I had a telephone conversation with Louise Stephens, the Dramaturg Rifco assigned to me. As well as being really lovely she gave me some excellent suggestions. I had only worked on screenplays till now and so the general rule I had followed said that you should have a clear plot outline before you write. I had been quite fixed in that process.

Louise suggested putting my characters in different scenarios (past, present and future) and seeing what would happen. How would they react? What would make them tick? It was really quite liberating. It really helped as I began developing a back story. 

A week later and I have produced the first draft of my scratch piece. Let's see what Louise thinks...

No comments:

Post a Comment